Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Coconut Chicken Curry



I found out last week that I am supposedly allergic to wheat and dairy. So, for the next 3-4 months, I am on a detox diet, meaning none of the following things:

wheat, oat, barley, bran, corn, no grains except for rice. (brown, white, wild, whatever.)
no dairy, no eggs, no beef, no shellfish, no tuna, no table salt, (only small amounts of sea salt.) no sugar, no peanuts, no peanut butter, let me think...there is a whole bunch more, but basically i can only have some fish, chicken, Lamb(what???) and turkey. preferably organic. Ditto veg and fruits, and rice. I can have some brown rice syrup and maple syrup or stevia. So why am i telling you all of this? Because i love to cook, and I am Italian, so for my entire life my diet has revolved around dairy. Admittadely, I have layed off carbs for a while in an effort to tame my waistline, but apparently it was doing me no good because their is gluten in everything, and it causes my body to bloat and retain water like mad. What a world! So, I am experimenting with different dish ideas in order to satisfy my palate but also tame my tummy. Who knew? Here is my recipe for Coconut Chicken Curry, I made it up on the fly, it was delicious! My husband thought it was pretty awesome too.
I also have to apologize for my pictures, apparently i am camera challeged, as you might notice from previous pics. However, I am going to be getting a new camera for my birthday, so hopefully things will get better soon!

2 chicken boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 an onion chopped
1 jalepeno seeded and halved lengthwise
2 plum tomatoes, quartered.
1 tlbs. Olive Oil

Sauce:
1 can light coconut milk
2 tlbs. yellow curry powder
1 tsp siracha
1 tlbs. ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 tlbs. fish sauce (ok, i broke my rules on this, but it serves 4 people, a girl has to live a little)
2 tlbs. rice syrup (you can use honey if you don't have to buy this expensive commodity)
1/4 cup golden raisin's.

prepare 2 cups of brown jasmine rice
1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut, unsweetned

heat oil in large skillet, saute onion, tomatoes and jalepeno for a few minutes until golden brown. Add chicken and saute for about 5 minutes more. Cover chicken mixture with sauce, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, and simmer for 10-15 minutes more until the sauce reduces.



Just before serving, add 1 tlbs. freshly chopped cilantro and the juice of 1/2-1 lime.

To prepare the rice, cook according to package directions. In the last 10 minutes, add the coconut to the rice and cook together.

Serve in bowls with lime wedges for each person.

No comments: