Thursday, April 24, 2008

More Enchilada's....


Tonight, I whipped up my husband's favorite Green Chili Chicken Enchilada's. I was originally inspired to make this dish from a recipe that my mom used to make. However, when I set out to make it the first time, I did not have her original recipe. I improvised! The result was a fresh tasting enchilada. Normally, I use corn tortilla's and just stack it up, but since my last recipe used whole wheat tortilla's and it came out so well, I thought I would use those again.


2 green chili's

2 large chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded

3 green onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely diced

1 big handful of fresh cilantro leaves chopped

1 jalepeno pepper finely diced

1 roma tomato diced

2 tlbs. softned cream cheese

3 tlbs. sour cream

1 cup jack cheese shredded

1 tlbs. oregano

1 tsp. chili powder

1 can green enchilada sauce (15 oz)

sea salt and pepper


8 whole wheat tortilla's

1 cup jack cheese


Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 13x9x2 inch pan with non stick spray, and spread about half a cup of green enchilada sauce over the bottom of the pan.


Roast chili peppers until charred, and place immediatly in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.


Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, and the next 10 ingredients. Remove peppers from fridge, and peel and dice. Add to the chicken mixture and stir all ingredients until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.


One at a time, spread a couple of spoonfuls of enchilada sauce on each tortilla, and then top with about 1/2 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla. Carefully roll each tortilla, and place in 13x9x2 pan. Once all enchilada's have been assembled, pour remaining enchilada sauce over entire contents of pan. Top with remaining 1 cup of jack cheese.


Cover with foil sprayed with non stick spray, and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

3 comments:

Scott Slusher said...

Hello KAT, this Scott S. from a long time ago. (Mesa COC)It has been a while, but I'm glad to hear and see that you are doing great.

I have seen Jessica a couple of times at Peperdine and I saw your parents at Kim M.'s wedding. But, I haven't seen you in a while.

I was looking a Jessica's blog and saw your name, so I thought I would say HI!

Jessica said...

Hey Kelly...you can go to Scott's blog by going to Angela Slusher's on mine, and then heading to his...they have a cutie baby!! :)These look yummy!!

KAT said...

thanks!