Saturday, April 19, 2008

Dinner Last Night...




Over the past few weeks, my sister has been sharing other blog's of people who share their love of food. So, after reading some of the exciting recipes out there, I decided that I should share my recipes and love of cooking as well.

Last week, I picked up some Sea Bass, and decided I would make it for dinner on Friday night. I was searching through recipes, and (this happens to me a lot) I came across a recipe that sounded interesting, but I did not have all the correct ingredients. I know typically when I get creative with an idea, it goes one of two ways- either not so great, or it becomes something I am very proud of. Well, this particular experiment was a winner. I was so proud of the outcome, that I even took some pictures that I am going to share with you. I hope you all like the recipe! It isn't terribly healthy, but at least it is low carb, and it is fairly easy for a fancy dinner.

Chilean Sea Bass with Saffron-Cream sauce and blanched Asparagus

1 tlbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tlbs. Butter
Sea Salt and fresh cracked pepper
4 4-6 oz. fillets of Sea Bass (or Cod, Halibut, or any other mild flavored white fish)

1/3 cup good quality Sauvignon Blanc
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 good pinch of saffron threads (depends on your taste, I personally love Saffron, so I use a big pinch!)
3 sprigs of Thyme
1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 pound fresh Asparagus

Fresh Basil, julienne for garnish

Trim aspargus, and add to pan filled with boiling, salted water. Cook for about 1 minute, depending on thickness of spears, and remove from water. Set aside.

Rinse fish fillets, pat dry, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat. When pan is hot, add Olive Oil and 1 tlbs. of the butter. Cook the fish for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the wine to deglaze the pan, and then add the garlic, tomatoes, saffron, thyme and simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Bring heat on the pan down to low, add the next Tablespoon of butter and whisk into sauce until melted. Add cream to sauce.

Place aspargus and fish on plate, and spoon generous serving of sauce over fish and aspargus. Garnish with fresh basil and fresh cracked pepper.

I also decided to add some pasta to this dish, because my husband has to have carbs with each meal. So, i just cooked up some pasta barilla, tossed it with a touch of Olive Oil and chopped garlic, and just topped it with some of the sauce. It was fantastic! We loved it, and we drank the rest of the Sauvignon Blanc that we used in the recipe. Even my two year old son loved the Sea Bass. Enjoy!